Monday, December 10, 2007

And This Qualifies you for What, Exactly?

Don't get me wrong. I have nothing whatsoever against stay at home moms. One of the greatest stay at home moms ever raised me. I also believe many, many stay at home moms are talented - and many are writers.
This type of posting just gets me though. It implies that writing is as easy as saying "I want to stay at home and write!"
The qualification for this job doesn't seem to be that you're a business school graduate, or have any marketing experience.

PR Writers Wanted Part Time (Comp: By project) We're very busy with our clients and need freelance writers, preferably at home moms, looking for work. If you can write with relatively quick turnaround send resume and writing samples.

2 Comments:

Blogger Sue said...

And ads like this encourage (mostly) women who are looking to stay home with their kids but want to make money. Writing is so easy, anybody can do it, so that's what I'll do. Neither side understands that this is a *real* career that requires a lot of hard work and skill.

12:30 PM CST  
Blogger Lori said...

Yea, it sounds a bit demeaning to me. It's as though if you have children, you can't possibly have enough brains to do anything more than simple work. Moms, of which I am one, can and do multitask better than most Dads, who by the way don't get labeled as "dads" by ANY employer....

6:03 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home