Monday, October 16, 2006

Just Because it is a Social Justice Issue...

First, of all, a big thank you to everyone who participated in the snarky reply contest! You all had some really good comebacks. The contest (or maybe it was just a bad mood), inspired my writing goal buddy, Heather Larson, to send a note to a job scammer. This person was offering $2 for a 400-word article. He wrote back: “These are general articles, nothing special, nothing too exhausting. Heck why do you even care? Some writer handle 4 such articles per hour. If you can’t, why do you care?”
I know it’s obvious to everyone but these losers, but we care because your rate drives down the market for everyone. It’s probably a reason why the real going rate hasn’t changed from $1 per word since the 1980s.
Now, on to my rant for this week. I’ve seen a lot of listings lately advertising new websites, magazines and ezines on the environment, going vegan and other progressive issues. None of them pay, or they pay very little. Again, I will and I have written pro-bono on topics that I’m passionate about, mostly by donating my services to non-profit organizations. Why in the world would I, or anyone, write for a company that is out to make a profit when there are so many more worthy causes for which to donate our time? Take the following ad:
“If you are looking for an opportunity to have your writing published then this posting is for you. We are looking for talented writers who are passionate about vegan/vegetarian eating, buying organic and local, natural health, environment protection, poetry, politics and the list goes on.

Our format is based on the writing styles of people "in the know" who can creatively express their point of view. Only well-written and intriguing articles will be published. What topic you choose to write about is up to you. Be intelligent, creative, but most of all have fun with it.

Upon contacting us you will need to send a resume and a writing sample(s). Without both you will automatically not be selected to have your writing featured. GOOD LUCK! Compensation: Publishing Credit”
Oh, boy! This poster makes me feel like I’m entering a prestigious contest – where all I have to do is give him all of my personal information by submitting a resume and some of my writing samples. If I don’t follow the rules, I will not be selected (darn) and I won’t get the great opportunity of having a “publishing credit.”
Uh, excuse me. I have to go write out some bills now. Instead of checks, I’m sending this job listing, asking them to accept publishing credit as my payment this month.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home