Thursday, August 23, 2007

LinkedIn

Yesterday, I wasn't so linked in - to my work that is - so I decided to do some research on the professional networking site, LinkedIn. Mainly because I kept getting invitations for me to join from fellow writers.
If you've read my blog for anytime at all, you know my marketing mantra has always been about networking. Being an old fashioned networking gal, I join organizations, go to meetings, get involved on boards. However, now that I'm way out in the woods, those opportunities will come few and far between.
My Internet networking had been limited to forums, but with the popularity of social networking sites growing (at least for those under 40), I thought I better check this out.
I did research on the writing forums I frequent. Some people said it to be a waste of time, others said they had found sources and other useful people there. One person even said she received a job offer from her profile. I also found this article giving 10 ways journalists can use the site to their advantage:
http://blog.penelopetrunk.com/2007/04/24/ten-ways-journalists-can-use-linkedin/
When I went to http://www.linkedin.com/ I also did a search of the most respected writers in my world - and they were there - all linked in.
So, I decided to give it a shot. It's free, you don't get spammed (at least that's what they say) and I have the opportunity to maybe meet some new people - and you just never know where that will lead. I suspect, though, it might be like anything else - you get out of it what you put into it. Like with professional organizations, I don't think you can just add your profile and walk away from it expecting things to drift to you.
This week, that's what I love about the freelance writing life. I can think I'm screwing off for an entire afternoon, but hey, you just never know what that afternoon might net me later.
Oh, and if you want to be my friend on LinkedIn, just send me an invitation.
fivecoat@ozarkmountains.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home