Thursday, January 10, 2008

Reinventing Yourself as a Writer

Almost three years ago I attended a conference that gives writers a chance at one on one meetings with editors. One of them said one of the worst things a writer can tell him is that they are a generalist.
That didn't sound good to me since I had always prided myself on being able to write on almost any subject.
Since that time, I've been trying to reinvent myself to highlight my strongest points of expertise. What did I do before getting into writing, what had I written most about? What did I want to write?
Before embarking on my writing career, I spent almost two decades working in retail and mortgage credit. I had written newsletters, training manuals, whitepapers and marketing materials. However, when I entered the world of writing, I wanted to be as far away from that life as possible.
But it's never too late to draw upon your skills. Last year, I landed a steady gig writing on the banking industry. This year, when I drew up my business plan, I sprinkled in a mix of business writing (where I have a strong background) with what I like to write - animals/pets, travel and sustainable living.
The key, I think, of not getting burned out with writing is to reinvent yourself every once in awhile. Find a new focus and go for it.
Oh, and I was encouraged when I read on a recent thread to a writers forum that some successful writers still consider themselves generalists and it doesn't hurt their careers at all.
Specializing doesn't mean we have to give up everything else, it just highlights our stregnths.

Please visit my new green blog, the place to be if you're green at going green:
http://www.goinggreenintheozarks.blogspot.com/

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

I just found your blog and I'm very glad I did. I'm wife/mom and adult student finishing my degree with hopes to write. I look forward to reading your blog.

2:19 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home