Friday, December 21, 2007

The Shortest Day of the Year

I procrastinated this week. Writers are notorious about this and for me at least, there's probably some deep seeded psychological reason.
Most of the time I don't know why I do it, but this week I figured it out.
Today is my mom's 83rd birthday. Most of you know my mother died on February 23 this year from complications of MRSA (the Super Bug). Mom was also weakened by years of smoking.
My mom always used to tell the story about how, when she was a child, she felt very slighted for having been born on the "shortest day of the year."
That is, until her mother explained to her that the shortest day just meant the shortest day of daylight.
I saved most of my work for yesterday and today - and those of you who have tried to reach sources on the day before most people will take off for a long holiday weekend know how busy it can be trying to track down interviews.
I hardly had time to think yesterday.
I hope that the same will hold true today, as allowing myself to miss my mom today would mean it would be the longest day of the year.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Kerri, I was so moved by this post. My mom died this year, too--actually she died on the longest day of the year. Good to take a day off to honor these things and not just always force ourselves to push ahead. Best of luck to you...and may 2008 be better for all of us.

1:56 PM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home