Friday, January 05, 2007

15 Things Writers Can Learn From A Dog

This is one of those emails that circulates the Internet, so my thanks to the author of the original, titled: "Things People Can Learn From Dogs,"

I took a couple of things out and modified it to fit our writing lives:

1. Never pass up the opportunity to go for a joy ride, especially if you can get a story out of it. I did this today, but it was a ride in a small commuter plane and I’ve been known to get sick! That kind of story I don't need.

2. Allow the experience of fresh air and the wind in your face to be pure ecstasy. The more you experience and enjoy life, the better your writing is.

3. When it's in your best interest, always practice obedience. Being right, especially with editors, doesn't net you future assignments. The customer (your editors and clients) are always right.

4. Let others know when they've invaded your territory, but try to do it tactfully.

5. Take naps and always stretch before rising. Naps, or meditation in the middle of my day brings me terrific ledes and refreshed ideas.

6. Run, romp, and play daily…after deadlines, of course.

7. Be loyal. Editors and clients will remember you for this.

8. Never pretend to be something you're not - it will always catch up to you.

9. If your story lies buried, dig until you find it.

10. When fellow writers are having a bad day, be silent and listen, sit close by and nuzzle them gently by sending encouraging notes or making a phone call or taking them out for coffee.

11. Delight in the simple joy of a long walk, exercise is the best medicine and releases negative energy.

12. Thrive on attention and let people touch you (through their words and actions).

13. Avoid biting when a simple growl will do.

14. When you are happy, dance around and wag your entire body…we call this the happy dance in my house. I do it whenever I get an acceptance – or a rejection – at least the editor acknowledged my efforts.

15. No matter how often you are criticized, don't buy into the guilt thing and pout. Run right back and make friends.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kathy@TheFlawlessWord said...

Love it! But I think I need some major practice on #3.

9:00 AM CST  

Post a Comment

<< Home